Monday, February 22

At Last a PB

Last weeks XC took a bit out of me. A 10 mile slow run on Wed helped
me recover but my right achilles flared up a little so I took it easy
for the rest of the week.
On Saturday I had a long days work in Limerick so I treated myself to
homemade chicken and chips (and salad) on Sat night - washed down with
a few beers. I had half an eye on the 5k Bhaa Road Race Sunday morning
in Mahon.
In 2008 this was my first race after moving back to Cork from Dublin
so it would be very interesting to see what improvements I could make.
(2 years ago I finished in 18.50)

I drove down to Hartys Quay on Sunday morning and jogged over to
skehard road and down to register in Mahon. Felt ok on the warm up
and it was a nice sunny, crisp morning. A few strides near the start
line and I was ready to go.
Like last week I took off fast but got into my running fairly quickly
and I found a spot 15 or 20 runners back from the leaders.
I was joined by a guy in white and we were running shoulder to shoulder
for most of the first mile.
Mile 1 in 5.50.

2 or 3 more guys came up on us and tried to pass but myself and the guy
in white stuck with them and were now motoring along in a group of 5.
As we turned right into the wind I stuck in behind 2 of them and caught
my breath. We were really racing and although I was`nt sure if I could
maintain the pace I was kinda enjoying it.
Once or twice a few of them pulled a few yards ahead but I kept
cool and quickened my leg turnover and I stuck with them.
Mile 2 in 5.55.

We were reeling in a few runners who had gone out too quick and were
now isolated and this was a good morale boost. Casual walkers seemed a
bit freaked out as the five of us were flying through the turns on the
public walkway.
I am starting to feel the pace now though and the group gets a few
strides ahead of me.
I dig in as I know from last week what a lonely place it is on your own
for the last mile. We turn and climb and cross over the motorway bridge in
single file..It is a straight finish of 600 yards and I have the 4 guys a few
paces ahead and there are 2 more about 10 metres further ahead.
I do my usual call " cmon, fast finish now " because If I could finish fast
there are 5 or 6 places there for the taking..
The fast finish is not there though - it looks like the quick pace has
scuppered that one for me and now it's a case of hanging on and not
getting passed!
I put in a small burst with 50 left and I am well safe from behind,
I close a bit on the guys ahead but I am never going to get there.

Under the clock in 18.17.
average pace/mile 5.53.

A PB beating the 2008 time by 33 seconds!

I am wrecked but very pleased to keep the pace under 6 min miles
as this is a lot harder than the mile intervals I have been doing in training.
My race was a steady pace and despite the painful finish it was a great
buzz as our group seemed to be flying along.

4 comments:

  1. nice run. I think I ran 19:30 the last time you ran that race!!

    Sub 18 not too far away now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sub 18 would be great Bricey - maybe next year !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great race Diarmaid. Very consistent pace - the mile repeats are paying off. I think mine was a 19:05 to your 18:50 two years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder what you would do now if you were to race that 5k ...fast i'd say

    ReplyDelete