Tuesday, August 3

Carrigtwohill 5k Race 28th July 2010

I took my place on the line at this 5k not sure what to expect.
My last 5k was back in Feb/March but I was determined to "have a go" at
setting a fast time. I calculated that 3 miles @ 5.40 or 5/45 pace would get me to my target of sub 18 for a 5k. Wishful thinking..

I took a warm up lap of about 2 miles and was doing a slow jog - i did`nt feel like I was full of energy but after a few strides I was feeling good to go. We took off fast and I went out fairly hard as we met a small hill and then levelled out a bit. A few passed me and I let them go as I felt like I was racing well hard enough. A few more turns and I hit the 1 mile marker in 5.44.
We then ran up a sharp but short hill and then a slight downhill section.
I was`nt feeling great and I realised this would be hard work.
Another 1 or 2 passed me and I joined a guy from Cork Tri Club who was pacing similar to me. A few more ups and downs and we hit the 2 mile mark 12.00. oh oh - that was a slow mile ! I am doing all I can to sustain the pace so I decide to sit it out and try to gain a few places in a fast finish.
About half a mile to go we get passed bu a guy sprinting by as if the line is just around the corner - my goal is now to beat the Cork Tri Guy to the finish and we both increase the pace a bit. I had forgotten how painful the 5k can be..I know from my warm up that the finish line is about 300 metres away so I kick for home hoping I can maintain it ..my buddy goes with me but I hold him off and I am gaining on the dude that passed me with 1/2 mile to go. The line comes in time for him and I am glad to see it too.
Finish time 18.49 - not too bad for a hilly course I suppose..but a long way from 18.00.

No comments:

Post a Comment