Tuesday, June 14

10k Races and Grey Crows

Finally it is time to go racing again.

I have three 10k races pencilled in for the next 3 weekends:
Dunmanway10k on Sunday, Courtmacsherry on 24th of June,
and Ballinascarthy the following weekend.
All these races are in west cork and only 20 mins drive from my
house so I am looking forward to getting back into race mode.

Training is not back to anywhere near the level or intensity
of last year but I am ticking over ok.
I am out running 4 to 5 times a week but mileage is low..

I have been busy trying to kill grey crows that are attacking
my new windows..they see their image in the glass and try to kill the "stranger", they are also eating the rubber sealant as they seem to like the oily taste of the rubber.
Nasty buggers, they are hard to trap, kill, get rid of..
Attempts to date have included purchasing a fake kestrel,
(they were sold out of hawks! ),rubbing Vicks on the windows (they hate the smell) , Glue on a Board (try to stick em),
Dropping a lump Hammer from an upstairs window (just missed! ),
Pellet Gun (this is the most fun .. wife does'nt like it though)
Dipping Bread in Anti -Freeze , etc,etc
When I say kill I mean of course "relocate" as the vermin are protected under the wildlife act - not sure why!)
I am making progress ..so hopefully my 6am crow calls will end soon.

On the running front I have a found a local loop which is exactly
5k so 2 of these and I have my 10k.
Last Wednesday I did a slow 5k followed up with a fast 5k to test my fitness levels and I came home in just under 19 mins for the second loop which was pleasing for a training run.
The plan is to get under 40 mins for the first 10k and try to kick on
from there. I won't really know where I am at until I race.

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck with the races.. The summer is a good time to get back into the groove. The mileage mightn't have been high but it sounds like the pace has been strong! I'm sure sub-40 will be walk in the park!

    ReplyDelete