Thursday, November 26

Lambs Liver

Last week was an easy running week -Total of 20 miles- as I allowed my spained ankle time to heal.
This week I`ve cranked it up a notch with 5/6 mile hilly runs on local roads on Monday,Tuesday and Wednesday.
Wednesday was a 6mile Hilly Loop around Rochestown/Rafeen at 7 min/mile average.
I will get in a long run of 10 - 15 miles on Saturday and will try to keep this a weekly event.So my weekly total should hit about 35 miles.

As my Iron Levels were slightly low in my last Blood Tests - probably due to the Leptospirosis/Weil's Disease I got back in April whitewater rafting on Honeymoon in Borneo.(The rumours of Fiona pushing me in are absolutely untrue - the fact that a paddle was on my head as I tried to come up for air was just bad luck!)

So,Iron is important for athletes,and low Iron is fairly common in athletes, due to loss in sweat,foot striking damaging blood cells and poor diet.My Doc tells me Elite Athletes are prone to taking illegal Iron supplements to Boost VO2 Max.
For me the Answer is to eat more Red Meat,Liver,Beans,Orange Juice and to cut down on my 4 or 5 daily expressos which reduce Iron Absorption from the food.

Lambs Liver does'nt taste so good but it is really cheap! You get about a kilo for
E 4.00 . I`ve been trying out different recipes,like breading the liver and frying,mixing with chillies and garlic etc.Last meal I cut the liver in strips and stir fried it with butter,mushrooms,garlic and brandy - not bad actually.
Chicken Liver is a bit more tasty,but it is high in cholesterol so I better not eat a kilo of that ..

5 comments:

  1. you could try beet root juice [ said to be very good for restoring iron levels] and you can buy liver tablets if your get bored of eating lambs liver all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip Rick - I`ll check out the beet root juice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'd rather be anaemic than eating liver all the time ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you still on the liver or did you roll out the turkey and ham for Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grellan, I am off the liver ! got 1 months iron tablets and Doc reckons I should be faster now the iron levels are back to normal so watch out in 2010 as I am looking forward to some competition from yourself and Bricey.
    I made the switch from Carlsberg to Murphys over the x-mas so that should hopefully help as well..

    ReplyDelete