Friday, January 29

Speed

This week I have put in more effort and I am pleased with
the results.I am getting into work at 8am so I can leave
at 4pm, and with the evenings a bit longer, and the weather
a bit warmer running is good again.
Sunday was an easy 8 miles at 8min pace,Monday 5.5 miles
at 7min pace, Tuesday I got in a 12 mile hilly loop at
7min mile average - this was a good workout and I even
managed to put in a fast mile from miles 10 to 11 (6.20 pace).
Last evening I had the dreaded mile intervals planned so
I was at Hartys Quay at 4.30 and I has a straight mile
mapped out on the new pathway from Hop Island to Passage.
The plan was 4 * 1 mile intervals at 6min miles.
It was strange not being at the track and I had to guess
the pace as at the track the laps help with a consistent pace.
Mile 1 was downwind and I reached the marker in 5.58.
Mile 2 was back into the wind so I put in more effort - 5.46.
That was a bit quick and I donno if I can do 2 more,a few
minutes recovery and I go again - 5.46 again ! - felt a bit
better after this one.
Mile 4 was back into the wind I hit 6.03 .
I have to be happy that the speed is still there anyways
- I am surprised at the 5.46 though - so I can treat myself
to a few beers and a few steaks over the weekend as I am
best man for Mike who is getting married in Bantry on Saturday.

4 comments:

  1. Your speed is certinly sharp and the hilly 12 miler @ 7 minute pace means you got the endurance. Looks like you could be close to 60 minuts in Bantry (the hills might go against you though) When's the marathon coming?

    ReplyDelete
  2. jesus i would`nt be too sure i could hit close to 60mins Grellan but it will be interesting to find out. The marathon i'd say will have to be either limerick or cork at this stage

    ReplyDelete
  3. How'd the speech at the wedding go? Any embarrassing silences. If you could run as good as you can speechify, you'd be running sub world record marathons..

    Later Dude..

    ReplyDelete
  4. yea,it is easy to talk the talk alrite - speech went well and bantry house is magnificent - a residents bar with snooker table as well and a free fully stocked bar !
    not bad..


    here is a flavour of my slagging:


    " I first met Michael in my first few weeks of College, at the back of one of the lecture halls.
    He was complaining about:
    * how long we would have to wait for our grants from the council
    * how college life was so much easier for the “rich” kids
    * the price of drink,cigarettes..and photocopying ( in that order)
    It was clear to me that this guy was already wise beyond his years..
    We were soon joined by another student and we retired to the college bar to continue our debate.
    I have to say his dress sense has come on leaps and bounds from those days, and there has been a noticeable change in the last few years as well – probably Helen’s influence.
    He was even seen sporting a Pink Lacoste Sweater recently – very noughties!
    He now also regularly buys his own aftershave instead of using the free samples available in many chemists and supermarkets.
    Michael is a go-to kinda guy – if you are in any spot of bother (particularly with your
    Car ) he will be out quicker than the AA .
    Just don`t expect a short answer if you ask him a technical question.
    Actually, don`t expect a short answer if you ask him any question.
    However,underestimate this guy at your peril,he has a wealth of knowledge on many subjects,and ,as Helen told me recently “Mike is never wrong”..and she wasn’t joking either - although she had consumed a few glasses of wine. Michael has had a wide variety of jobs over the years,you would`nt think it if you saw him on a Saturday morning with his woolly hat on and a can of wd40 in his hand - but this guy has worked in sales and forecasting roles for telecoms company in london and dublin.... The man from the golden vale has found new pastures in which to graze!"

    ReplyDelete